Accidents happen; especially happen in your home if you’re not aware and careful. Electricity is used in your home every single day, all year round. Whether it be to heat the house in the winter or cool it down with the AC unit/central air in the summertime, your electricity spikes could lead to electrical malfunctions and failures. It can depend on the age of your home and the wires. It also comes down to how much electricity is being used before the larger units get turned on. With these in mind, there are a few precautions you can take to ensure your home is safe.

Heating Fires: Many people often use space heaters, electric blankets, and more to warm themselves up. This could be an alternative to using the primary heat or in addition to it. The best way to avoid a fire is to keep any flammable materials from the space heaters and electrical outlets.

Don't Take Chances! Avoid Risks At Home 1

Electrical Failures: Electrical failures and malfunctions happen when too much voltage is being used, or the wiring is old. To avoid this, don’t plug any appliances into an extension cord. Make sure you don’t exceed the wattage that’s recommended for your light fixtures, lamps, and other electrical devices.

Portable Generators: Generators can be a lifesaver when it comes to heavy storms. If they are installed improperly, however, they can do more damage than good. It’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions, never use a generator inside because of the carbon monoxide emissions, keep the generator away from combustible materials, and have a carbon monoxide detector on hand when the generator is in use.

Talk to a licensed electrician: Working with electricity is not something to be taken lightly. Consult a licensed electrician to check the status of your wires and perform any electrical work you may need to be done.